Grain-Free and Gluten-Free Turmeric Fajita Salad is something I never planned on posting. I mean, after all, I merely just threw in a bunch of stuff half of what was mine, and half from leftovers from a diner and put it all together. But I realize as a recipe developer and blogger this is totally my thing, but it may not be yours. If you are having dinner troubleshooting for your elimination diet or lifestyle this is definitely a YUMMY gluten and grain-free option to try and add to your dinner rotation.
Let’s say you order a salad from a restaurant. You’ll then take that salad and add a bunch of other stuff you’ve made to it making it a complete entree salad of your desire with all the nutrient fixings!
You can easily swap things in salads:
- If you dine out, bring along with you in your purse some extra superfoods, nuts, seeds and add them to your salad mix.
- If you dine at home and you are not much of a cook, or not in the mood to slave in the kitchen then order a salad in and add all your nutrient-dense fixings at home.
- Make sure whatever you order has no dressing or sauces, then create your own with the simplest of ingredients like olive oil and lemon, salt and pepper, apple cider vinegar and oil, balsamic vinegar and oil. Or mash avocado with lime and coconut yogurt and make a dressing that way.
From the diner I got:
- Grilled chicken breasts
- A salad of mesclun greens, red onions, grape tomatoes, and avocado.
From there I took the greens and layered them out on the cutting board and chopped the salad. I used this awesome tool, it’s one of my favs by the way – Grab the chopper here. A chopped salad in my book is always more fun to eat.
Then on the stove, I added some olive oil and shredded the chicken. Added that to the pan with fresh lemon juice and the onions from the salad and began to sautee everything together. I used a lot of turmeric, up to 3/4 tablespoon, you really cannot go wrong, just don’t go above 1 full tablespoon and make sure you use the lemon or lime juice to balance it out. Plus a few dashes of delicious pink or sea salt.
I was SO happy with this meal! And all I had to do was to recook the leftover chicken to my clean saucy liking alongside the onions and that took seconds.
After the chicken was fully cooked I added it alongside the sauteed onions onto the chopped greens and topped it with mashed avocado. You have the option to then blend the avocado into the chicken to create a creamy chicken salad. And then for double yum use 2-4 Siete coconut flour tortillas for some grain-free chicken fajitas! You have choices here. Avocado on. Avocado off. Avocado in.
To me, this is the healthy gluten-free and grain-free version of what I used to remember. It’s a little different and that’s ok because it’s so darn delicious!
Ready to make beautiful music together?
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
1 large salad from the diner that uses red onions, mesclun greens, tomatoes, and grilled chicken
1 side of avocado (1/2 of an avocado)
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
splashes of extra virgin olive oil
3/4 tablespoon turmeric
1 fresh whole lemon (squeezed)
2 teaspoon pink salt
Pepper to taste
Heat the saute pan with cooking spray and some avocado or olive oil on medium-high heat
Add shredded grilled chicken to warm and heat up
Add the raw onions, and sautee for a few seconds
Drop in the balsamic vinegar into the pan (stand away it may splash onto your clothes)
Combine the chicken, the onions and all seasonings and blend together until well mixed
Remove from heat and set aside
Chop greens and tomatoes and put into a large bowl
In a separate bowl add the chicken and onion mixture and mix in the avocado until you have a chicken salad consistency
Add to salad and serve immediately.
- If you cannot have coconut, be sure to swap out the Siete coconut flour tortillas for almond flour or cashew tortillas
- If you’re allergic to nuts, just use a grain tortilla-like corn, rice, or chickpea which is a legume.
Love & nutrient-dense yum,
- 1 large salad from the diner that uses red onions, mesclun greens, tomatoes, and grilled chicken
- 1 side of avocado (1/2 of an avocado)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- splashes of extra virgin olive oil
- ¾ tablespoon turmeric
- 1 fresh whole lemon (squeezed)
- 2 teaspoon pink salt
- Pepper to taste
- Heat the saute pan with cooking spray and some avocado or olive oil on medium-high heat
- Add shredded grilled chicken to warm and heat up
- Add the raw onions, and sautee for a few seconds
- Drop in the balsamic vinegar into the pan (stand away it may splash onto your clothes)
- Combine the chicken, the onions and all seasonings and blend together until well mixed
- Remove from heat and set aside
- Chop greens and tomatoes and put into a large bowl
- In a separate bowl add the chicken and onion mixture and mix in the avocado until you have a chicken salad consistency
- Add to salad and serve immediately.