5-Ingredient Gluten-Free Carob Hot Cocoa is an excellent option for those who cannot have caffeine or lots of chocolate but want that same chocolate taste. Made with a delicious mix of carob powder, plant-based milk, cinnamon, stevia, and a dash of raw cocoa powder. Gluten-free, vegan, paleo, dairy-free, and refined sugar-free!
Sometimes I just want to curl up in P.J.'s with fuzzy slippers and a blanket on the couch and watch a marathon of Law and Order with a nice cup of hot cocoa, especially in the Manhattan Winter. Don't you?! The problem is I cannot have a lot of caffeine, and sometimes I can't have caffeine at all which means little to no chocolate. Especially at night.
Since sleep is a self-care practice and falling asleep for many is a difficult task the idea of how to make hot cocoa without cocoa came into my thoughts.
Then sugar did. Sugar at night isn't a great option. Not only does it keep you up but it also gives you a crash and a hangover and no one needs that before bed or upon awakening because you couldn't fall asleep. That's why I created my favorite traditional drink with gluten-free carob.
Enter Gluten-free Carob Hot Cocoa.
WHAT CAFFEINE DOES TO YOUR BODY IF YOU ARE SUFFERING FROM AUTOIMMUNE, SIBO, ADRENAL FATIGUE & LEAKY GUT
- Keeps you over alerted
- Makes you moody
- Messes with your adrenals overworking them turning your adrenal fatigue into chronic fatigue
- Causes extra discomfort to your Leaky Gut
- Gets in the way of your healing
- Creates acid reflux
- Messes with your digestion
- Gets in the way of your sleep cycle
- Irritates your already diagnosed food sensitivities
- Adds migraines to your routine
MY PERSONAL HEALING STORY
For the last two years, I have been sugar-free, dairy-free, soy-free, banana-free, nut-free, duh on the gluten-free, and lots of other free's. In the beginning when all these food sensitivities were emerging because of unrepaired Leaky Gut and the inflammation from SIBO, Candida, and Celiac Disease - I'll admit - finding a diet lifestyle I enjoyed was really hard. I was crying all the time. So angry and frustrated that I couldn't just go back to the way I used to be, where eating anything (other than gluten of course) didn't bother me.
The more I experienced this lifestyle and realized this way of life was here to stay and needed to stay based on the medical issues I was having (and still have), I realized fighting city hall on this was not the way. My frustration and inability to go with the flow just made everything so much worse. I was fighting the flow. I was fighting God's path for me.
And that is how this recipe creation of Gluten-Free Carob Hot Cocoa came to flourish. The same way I started to see my life from a different perspective was the same way my recipes began to take a different turn. Delicious of course, because I honestly wouldn't have it any other way, but elimination diet-friendly. Rather than give up and handing over the white flag, I choose to accept this challenge so that I could create recipes that would remain in my life.
LET'S TALK ABOUT CAROB POWDER FOR A MINUTE
- Unsweetened carob powder and sweetened carob powder are different, don't be fooled
- Most carob powders are not gluten-free as many contain barley malt for flavoring
- Chatfield's IS gluten-free and that is what I used in this recipe
- Chatfield's is made in a dedicated gluten-free facility, nut-free facility and it's vegan
- Carob powder that is gluten-free is often hard to find. Search Amazon, Thrive Market, Whole Foods, and specialty health food stores
- Always read labels to make sure your carob is gluten-free
- The taste is different, be prepared
- Cocoa which comes from a Cacao bean is different than Carob which comes from the Carob plant
I'll be honest, I am not a carob lover. Alone, I don't enjoy the taste. But with a tad bit of cocoa powder and cinnamon, it makes all the difference. And those spices turn this Gluten-Free Carob Hot Cocoa into a delightfully hot, warming, soothing drink. With just one teaspoon of cocoa powder, I felt as if I was drinking liquid chocolate!
Ready to gather your ingredients?
Gluten-Free Carob Hot Cocoa
- 1 cup Lite coconut milk, canned
- 1 ½ cup spring water
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 ½ tbsp gluten-free carob powder
- 1 tsp raw cacao or cocoa powder
- 3-5 drops chocolate flavored liquid stevia optional
- In a high-speed blender, blast on high all ingredients for 1-2 minutes. The longer you do it the frothier it gets.
- Pour mixture into a mug and microwave for 2 minutes.
- Let cool and enjoy.
- I love Nu Naturals chocolate flavored liquid stevia for this recipe.
- If you cannot tolerate coconut milk use any plant-based milk of choices such as almond, hemp milk, soy milk, pistachio milk, cashew or macadamia milk, or dairy milk 2%.
- Adding any other sweetener to this drink will make this drink not suitable for those with Candida, or on sugar-free diets.
- But, if a little sweetener is what you need to try pure grade maple syrup, honey, or brown rice syrup.
Looking for more hot chocolate drinks? Try these! They'll warm your heart instantly.
Love, hot carob cocoa, and comfort,