If you're looking for a smoothie that tastes light, sweet, and is low in sugar, it's this vegan jicama honeydew smoothie! In this smoothie, jicama creates that creamy texture and consistency, and honeydew gives its sweet candy flavor, & creaminess. This smoothie is paleo, dairy-free, vegan too!
The creamy factor is a win! This smoothie is super creamy due to both fruit and veggies changing the texture, the taste, and the creamy factor. If comparing honeydew jicama smoothie to a banana smoothie, they'd tie. Both taste like ice cream. Both ways you can hide veggies, leafy greens, and superfoods without noticing a flavor disruption. And if you have a food sensitivity or allergy to banana this would be your smoothie equivalent.
A smoothie filled with fruits like Honeydew melon and vegetables like jicama, you'll notice when combined it's a magical flavor experience. If you have even trusted to get that far. Most, as I did for may years discard both of these flavor profiles. For most of my life, Honeydew and jicama were fruit and a vegetable that I didn't care for.
After getting more education in holistic nutrition I soon came to realize that I was missing out!
Let's talk jicama the vegetable
- Sauteeing and grilling on the stove or bbq brings out its sweet flavor
- Juiced, or added to smoothies also brings out the sweetness of the vegetables
- Raw and added to smoothies aids in that creamy factor
- Raw, sliced and eaten with dip or guacamole
- Low glycemic, savvy for diabetics
No sweat if you have no idea what jicama is.
I'll give you a hit, you've seen it on crudite platters during holiday celebrations as that unknown veggie on the veggie and dip platter.
What I additionally love about this smoothie is that it's packed with
- plant-based nutrients
- gives your body energy and empowerment
- satisfies cravings
- unsweetened coconut milk
Why use jicama in smoothies
- Lowest calorie starchy vegetable and low glycemic out of all starchy veggies
- Jicama is a water vegetable which means jicama holds a lot of water
- Full of fiber for a healthy digestive tract
- High in potassium and calcium
Why sweeten a smoothie with honeydew melon
- Low in sugar but tastes like sugar
- You'll need less fruit to sweeten your smoothie
- Melons are water fruit, meaning they are rich in water and electrolytes
- Rich in magnesium, potassium, vitamin k, fiber, vitamin c, folate, and vitamin b6.
- Can hide leafy greens like kale, spinach, parsley, lettuces, zucchini, and other veggies in smoothies
Together their sweet flavors harmonize and what you will taste is pure sweetness, without all of the sugar.
Hoping to share my recipes to create a ripple effect of sugar-free loving smoothie lovers!
How to know when your melon is ripest?
- The honeydew melon should only be enjoyed when it is incredibly ripe
- Incredibly ripe guides are that your melon has sat on your counter for 5 days or so.
- There will be a day that you think it's time to get rid of it. If you don't use it you never will moment in time. That is when you should use it.
- If it doesn't taste sweet as candy, it's not ripe enough.
Need smoothie ideas?
This list of leafy greens will help guide you too!
Ready to make yum?
Jicama Honeydew Jicama Smoothie
- high-speed blender
- ⅔ cup chopped jicama peeled
- 5 medium-sized butter leaves
- ¾ cup honeydew, chopped, ripe
- 2 tbsp gluten-free hemp seeds
- 1 tbsp flax seeds
- ½ tsp flax oil
- ¼ cup raw coconut water
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1-2 tbsp avocado ripe
- 2 cups crushed ice
- in a high-speed blender first blend together the chopped jicama with the coconut milk for about a minute or two. You really want to break down the jicama into creaminess.
- Then add all other ingredients except the ice and blast on high until creamy.
- Add ice and blast again. Then serve.
- coconut milk: so delicious, unsweetened
- coconut water: harmless harvest
- flax seeds and superfood seeds: nuts dot com in their gluten-free section
Want more honeydew recipes?
Love and Smoothies!