So I have been obsessed with Brittany Angell’s Cookbook, Every Last Crumb and I feel I really need to tell you guys about it! I mean, It’s like a diamond in the rubble when it comes to paleo, gluten-free and allergy-friendly baking. When her book came out, I was on the Paleo Diet and felt a total loss for carbs! So my excitement was an understatement! I was on Amazon, on the waiting list, needing, wanting, waiting for this cookbook. Because everyone, no matter what diet, autoimmune disease, medical issue you may have should be able to feel good about the food they eat. (And then I personally contacted Brittany herself asking if I could snag a copy for my readers-that’s you guys!!) So here we are, and I’m hosting a giveaway to one lucky winner! Yippie! Super psyched! But first a little comparison to food and loss…
Do you remember that scene in Twilight where Edward asked Bella if she was afraid, and her response was that she was only afraid of losing him?
Edward: “Are you afraid?”.
Bella: “I’m only afraid of losing you”.
Or when Bella finds out that Edward is a Vampire?
Bella: “This isn’t real, this kind of stuff just doesn’t exist”.
Edward: “It does in my world”.
This is how I feel about Brittany Angell’s Paleo and gluten-free cookbook, Every Last Crumb. It’s a cookbook that tackles common allergies, safe recipes for Celiacs, people on the Paleo diet and even those with nut allergies, egg allergies, coconut allergies and dairy allergies. She covers it all medically and categorically starting with her chronic illness journey into baking tutorials, ingredients and substitutions and then the amazing chapters of classic & specialty breads, breakfast breads and pastries, biscuits and scones, quick breads and muffins, breakfast and brunch, burgers and sandwiches, crackers and snacks, pizza and calzones, tacos and quesadillas, comfort foods, soft pretzels, desserts and condiments. As Bella would say “this isn’t real, this kind of stuff just doesn’t exist! But it does in Brittany Angell’s world. I mean let’s just be real, it’s insane! And in such a good way!! Deprived? Definitely not!! This goes without saying, but it’s not the type of cookbook where the pictures are dull and boring, and It’s also not the type of cookbook with glorious pictures and terrible tasting recipes either. Brittany gets it. She gets it because she’s been there, she lives with chronic illness, she has been on so many elimination diets and has food allergies too. She is the real deal. In Brittany’s world, delicious gluten-free, paleo and allergy-friendly food not only exists but thrives like this Gluten-Free Tiramisu Crepe Cake…that is gluten-free, nut-free and grain-free. (And you can make this with dairy substitutions too)
Are you drooling yet?
When Bella tells Edward she’s only afraid of losing him, I equate that to someone finding out they have Celiac Disease, a gluten-intolerance or a multitude of allergies and suddenly have to take all the foods they love out of their diet…forever (or even for a long period of time). Bella is afraid of the loss, because she has found such a deep love and connection towards Edward, even though he could harm her, and when you think about people and their relationship with and to food, it is very similar. It can be a huge shock to the system to wonder how life is going to be without the foods you love, and how you are going to cope, thrive, be, date, hang with friends, have birthday parties, go to school, college, passover etc and still love your life.
We say food doesn’t really matter, that many eat to live rather then live to eat, but it shouldn’t have to be a choice. As Brittany would say “Food Should Be Good”. And that Is what I like about Brittany Angell’s cookbook Every Last Crumb. Every Last Gluten-Free, Paleo and Allergy-Friendly Crumb is just as delicious as it was before your medical issues, elimination diet, Celiac Disease or Chronic Illness journey started.
You don’t have to LOSE anything with her recipes.
Brittany has done an amazing job eliminating the loss, so you don’t have to feel deprived. Seriously…Are you feeling the loss looking at these Strawberry Waffles that are free of gluten, grains and dairy? I mean look at them! I literally went and bought a waffle maker when I saw her chapter on Brunch. How much do you want this recipe for free? Because I’m about to make your dreams come true!
- 1 (1.2-ounce) package freeze dried strawberries
- 216 grams blanched almond flour (about 1½ cups)
- 88 grams potato starch or sweet potato starch (about ½ cup)
- 66 grams tapioca starch (about ½ cup)
- 2 teaspoons double acting, aluminum-free baking powder
- ¾ tsp. kosher salt
- 1 large egg
- 120 grams milk (dairy or non-dairy) (about ½ cup plus 2 teaspoons)
- 126 grams raw honey or granulated maple sugar (about ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons) (see notes)
- 70 grams mild flavored oil (about ¼ cup plus 1½ tablespoons), plus more for the waffle iron
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Natural red food coloring (optional) - the amount is up to you!
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 batch coconut whipped topping (in Brittany's book)
- Preheat a waffle iron. If you have the option, preheat to the medium setting.
- Using a coffee grinder or spice grinder, grind the freeze-dried strawberries into a powder
- Place the powdered strawberries in a mixing bowl with the almond flour, starches, baking powder and salt and whisk until well blended. Add the rest of the ingredients for the waffles and stir to combine. (Remember to add 3 tablespoons of water if you're using granulated maple sugar)
- Lightly brush the heated waffle iron with oil. Following the manufacturer's guidelines for suggested quantity, ladle the batter into the oiled waffle iron and spread it evenly across the surface, leaving a ½ inch border. Cook, following the manufacturer's directions. When done, set the waffle aside on a baking sheet in a low oven to keep warm while you cook the remaining waffles.
- Serve topped with sliced strawberries, their juice and Coconut Whipped Topping.
- Store leftover waffles in a sealed bag or container for up to 2 days, or freeze for later. They can be popped directly into the toaster from the freezer.
She even has a goldfish cracker recipe that will make you swoon!
How about this gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free and coconut-free Pumpkin Mug Cake? I LOVE this recipe, because you can make it in the microwave. It’s called 5 minutes!! I cannot tell you how many mug cakes I have made from this recipe alone. It’s just SO good! I am sure that you can spare 5 minutes of your time for this delicious cake, no?
Some of my other favorites from her book and worth a noteworthy mention are her PMS brownies, Sunbutter Cups, Coconut Whipped Topping, Gluten-Free Waffle Cones!!!!!, Donuts and her entire brunch section of pancakes and waffles…oh! How could I forget about her bagels and tortillas…there are just so many drool worthy recipes – I’ll stop here. I’ll let this marinate.
GIVEAWAY is closed.
Brittany Angell and I are teaming up to do a giveaway of her deliciously gluten-free, Paleo and Grain-Free cookbook, Every Last Crumb to ONE lucky winner!!!! There is something for everyone in this Allergy-Friendly cookbook. To enter, comment on this blog post and tell me why you would like to win this cookbook. Bonus if you are following me on Instagram and at Goodiegoodieglutenfree and following Brittany Angell at BrittanyAngell on Instagram. (U.S. Winners only) Winner will be announced on March 1st, 2016.
*Photo credit: Brittany Angell
Every Last Crumb is worth it,