1. Chia Seeds and Flax Seeds
Why it makes you pretty: These antioxidant-rich seeds are great sources of vitamin E and omega-3s, essential fatty acids that make skin glow and hair shine. Chia seeds are natures laxative. They keep you regular! Holding in poo inside your body can do horrible things and actually cause bad skin, yeast infections, bacteria infections and overall lowers your immune system response. Also try Flax oil, ground flax powder.
2. Flax Oil-Why it makes you pretty: The oil just ½ teaspoon a day is a wonderful source for your skin!
3. Cod Liver Oil or Salmon Oil-Why it makes you pretty: Both are excellent sources to beautiful skin. Cod Liver Oil also repairs the intestinal lining and prevents as well as heals food sensitivities and gut disruption. Both oils are a high source of Vitamin A and a moderate source of Vitamin D (400IU) with just one teaspoon and is an essential fatty acid. Don't be scared of fat! Our bodies actually need good sources of fat. For this option go with the liquid over the pill. With the liquid you get much more into your system then you would through a pill. Of course one is better then none. I add cod liver oil into my smoothies every single day.
4. Artichokes-Why it makes you pretty: Artichokes are loaded with fiber and is also considered a detoxifying veggie because it helps your body get rid of waste. The result? Clearer, more radiant skin. Artichokes also contain rutin, an antioxidant that reduces inflammation throughout the body, so skin appears plumper and less red.
5. Blueberries and Acai Berries-Why they make you pretty: These fruits are loaded with antioxidants which are immune boosting and reduces damage from free radicals which are what causes aging and wrinkles. Acai is known as a super fruit, this reddish purple brazilian berry is full of omega-3 fatty acids and antioxidants. It is really hard to find this berry in the states but Whole Foods carries unsweetened frozen packets of this fruit that is perfect for smoothies. Both Acai and Blueberries aid in heart health, good glowing skin and is a low fructose (low sugar) fruit. These berries are suitable for those with Candida or Diabetes. These berries also reduce aging, give you a boost of energy and reduces irritation.
6. Sweet Potato-Why it make you pretty: Full of fiber, this tasty, orange complex carb is also high in vitamin A, an antioxidant that keeps skin fresh, smooth and clear. Also try Carrots, pumpkin and butternut squash.
7. Kale and Mustard Greens-Why these makes you pretty: These dark green leafy veggies offers lots of fiber (for clear skin) and plenty of vitamin A and C (take that, wrinkles and discoloration!). kale also has lutein, a nutrient that makes the whites of your eyes look brighter, while Mustard Greens have the ability to lower cholesterol and has 922% of Vitamin K an essential vitamin needed to work with Vitamin D. Additional nutrients are Copper, Mangaese, Calcium and Vitamin C. Also try Spinach.
8. Wild Salmon and Wild Fish-Why it makes you pretty: One of the best-known sources of skin-beautifying omega fatty acids and essential amino acids, wild salmon reduces inflammation more effectively then almost any other food. Often we are lacking the essential natural oils in our bodies that promote healthy hair growth, skin and nail growth. Naturally, Salmon is an fatty fish which is highly nutritious for our bodies. Salmon is high in Vitamin D, Vitamin A, Vitamin E and the B Vitamin group. Salmon also reduces the effect of wrinkles and puffiness.
9. Quinoa-Why it makes you pretty: B-Complex vitamins in this nutty grain help skin glow and hair feel less dry. Unlike many starches, quinoa does not contain gluten, a common but often overlooked source of food allergies. Quinoa is actually a seed, but classified as a grain amongst popular culture. Quinoa is an essential protein which means that this pseudo grain has every single vitamin, mineral and nutrient you need within this seed. Unlike other grains, during the milling process most of the nutrients get lost including the fiber, but not with quinoa. Quinoa is also a protein, and protein makes you full faster and gives you energy. Quinoa is naturally gluten-free and provides vitamins such as: B vitamins, Iron, Calcium, Potassium, fiber, magnesium, Phosphorus and Zinc. It is one of the few plant foods that is actually considered a complete protein. Quinoa also has a healthy dose of fatty acids. Now it makes you pretty because Quinoa has the ability to reduce the brown spots on your face, can treat acne, protects and nourishes hair follicles, promotes hair growth, treats dandruff, provides nourishment and hydration to the scalp, reduces hair breakage, rejuvenates the skin from within and helps with anti-aging.
10. Coconut-Why it makes you pretty: Coconut can be excellent for skin and rashes. There are some that cannot tolerate coconut, and using coconut may backfire. I would not recommend using coconut on already problematic cystic skin. However, some swear by the magic of the coconut to hydrate the scalp, reduce inflammation, reduce sugar levels promoting healthier skin and as a moisturizer.
11. Probiotics-Why it makes you pretty: Taking a refrigerated probiotic of 40 billion or more promotes a healthy intestinal tract. Since 80% of our immune system lives in our gut, gut health is super important. When the gut is healthy our skin is healthy. Taking a probiotic keeps the good bacteria in our bodies. We will always have bacteria in our bodies. The trick is to maintain a balance between good bacteria and bad bacteria. Probiotics help with this. And this helps with our skin! Probiotics also prevent yeast, keep our stool healthy, make us less bloated, less period cramps and allow us to eat more.