Healthy Unicorn Toast! Made healthy with simple whole food dairy-free, gluten-free, vegan ingredients, making this treat not only nutritious but fun to eat too! Using only certified gluten-free ingredients to make sure your experience is as safe as it can be. Ready for some yum?
Would you consider this unicorn toast or love toast? I can’t decide. Either way, this beauty is a BEAUTY! This toast tastes deliciously delicious plus it is nutrient dense and filling. Win-win!
I’ve never thought to make unicorn toast because in reality who has time to dress up toast when these days we rush out of our houses in a New York City minute (which is a faster minute than anywhere else ; )) barely dressed. I swear once I went to work with one brown boot on and one black boot on because I was rushing out of the house. When I got to work is when I noticed and it was too late to go back home and change. That’s how much time I didn’t have to make fancy toast, ya feel me?
Flash forward to living in the land of wellness, post-IIN and I’m loving all these unicorn toasts I see on Instagram (my favorite platform ever)! And I’m drooling and wishing I too can make beautiful unicorn toast free-from and Celiac-safe. Literally dreaming. You should see how many unicorn toasts I save on Instagram or screenshot. They are just so pretty.
As destiny would have it I got Simple Kneads Sourdough bread, I was offered to do a collab, and while I usually decline gluten-free bread samples, I devoured their site and felt so aligned with their mission and what that family has endured, plus it was free of all my sensitivities and Celiac safe? Well, hot dang I had to try, and just like that I felt compelled to make my own version of unicorn toast, sans cream cheese and artificial colors. Sans nuts, sesame, eggs, and dairy. Sans everything, but insanely delicious.
And because of that joyous moment of finding the best gluten free bread ever that was spongy, not dense, I decided to embark on my version of unicorn toast. I got so lost in making it, it was pure joy and then getting to eat it was pure nourishment. It’s so satisfying to be able to create something you love that you can enjoy without fear.
I used pretty simple ingredients that I had in the house. I wasn’t running to the market to get special colors the way you’d do on Easter. I used my new favorite Simple Kneads bread, wild blueberry powder which is an insane superfood hello antioxidants!, unsweetened coconut yogurt (hello probiotics) and I mixed that together and got this beautiful purple color. Then I drizzled it with sunflower seed butter (sodium free + sugar-free) and added wild frozen blueberries on top in the shape of a heart. I literally loved my breakfast and it loved me back.
Are you ready to make beautiful music together?
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
1 slice gluten-free bread toasted or untoasted
1 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut yogurt ( I used Coyo)
1 – 2 teaspoons wild blueberry powder
1 heaping tablespoon sunflower seed butter
A handful of frozen or fresh wild blueberries
Toast your bread, or choose to have it untoasted as I did.
Add coconut yogurt and wild blueberry powder into a bowl and mix until smooth with a spoon.
Lather the mixture onto your toast, neatly.
Using a pastry bag, pipe the sunflower seed butter mixture onto your toast in the shape of a heart.
Then using the frozen berries outline on top of the sunflower seed butter heart. With the remaining sunflower seed butter, create zigzags around the heart.
Enjoy. Serves 1.
- You can easily buy wild blueberry powder or any fruit powder of your desire on nutsdotcom, or Healthy Truth Foods. They have amazing certified gluten-free products and those are the two brands I swear by. And let’s just say you don’t want to have to order something like that, here’s what you can consider using for colors: blueberry juice, raspberry juice, blackberry juice, crushed pomegranate seeds, matcha tea powder, turmeric (but use sweetener with that one) or you can mix actual defrosted berries into your coconut yogurt and mix. That works too. You have natural options!
- You don’t have to use a pastry bag, it just makes it super pretty. I use Wilton disposable pastry bags. It cut the tip at the bottom, and I pipe the mixture. If you don’t care what it looks like you can use a spoon.
- 1 slice gluten-free bread toasted or untoasted
- 1½ tablespoons unsweetened coconut yogurt
- 1 - 2 teaspoons wild blueberry powder
- 1 heaping tablespoon sunflower seed butter
- A handful of frozen or fresh wild blueberries
- Toast your bread, or choose to have it untoasted as I did.
- Add coconut yogurt and wild blueberry powder together until smooth.
- Lather the mixture onto your toast, neatly.
- Using a pastry bag, pipe the sunflower seed butter mixture onto your toast in the shape of a heart. Then using the frozen berries outline on top of the sunflower seed butter heart.
- With the remaining sunflower seed butter, create zigzags around the heart.