Healthy Unicorn Toast! Made with healthy simple whole food ingredients that are dairy-free, gluten-free, and vegan. Designed to look pretty while packing a punch in nutrients, and healthy fats. Coconut yogurt, berry flavors, and using only certified gluten-free ingredients to make sure your experience is as safe as it can be.
I've never thought to make unicorn toast because in reality who has time to dress up toast when rushing out of the house is the first thing we think of upon waking up in the morning. I once went to work with one brown boot on and one black boot on because I was rushing out of the house. When I got to work is when I noticed and it was too late to go back home and change. That's how much time I didn't have to make fancy toast, ya feel me?
Flash forward to living in the land of wellness, making time for self-care and self-nourishment dressing up a toast to make it pretty and nourishing doesn't seem so out of touch to do.
As destiny would have it, I decided to do a collab with Simple Kneads Sourdough bread, and while I usually decline gluten-free bread samples, I devoured their site and felt so aligned with their mission that my answer was a resounding YES. Plus a certified gluten-free bread that was free of all my sensitivities and Celiac safe? Well, hot dang I had to try, and just like that I felt compelled to make my own version of unicorn toast, sans cream cheese, and artificial colors. Sans nuts, sesame, eggs, and dairy. Sans everything, but insanely delicious.
PERKS OF SIMPLE KNEADS BREAD
- Spongy not dense
- Soft not hard
- Holeless not full of
- Tastes delicious
- Made with minimal ingredients
- Gluten-free sourdough
- Free from dairy, gluten, nuts, eggs
- Made to order
- I used pretty simple ingredients that I had in the house.
- No one was running to the market to get special colors the way you'd do on Easter.
- Wild blueberry powder mixed with coconut yogurt
- Hello, probiotics and antioxidants!
- Unsweetened and salt-free Sunflower seed butter for the "no nutty" spread
- Frozen wild blueberries or real blueberries for your heart design
UNICORN TOAST TIPS
- You can easily buy wild blueberry superfood powder or any fruit powder of your desire on nutsdotcom, or Healthy Truth Foods. They have amazing certified gluten-free products and those are the two brands I swear by.
READY TO GATHER YOUR INGREDIENTS?
Healthy Gluten-Free Unicorn Toast
- 1 slice gluten-free bread
- 1 ½ tablespoon unsweetened coconut yogurt
- 1-2 teaspoon wild blueberry superfood powder
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seed butter or nut butter of choice
- 1 handful fresh or frozen wild blueberries
- Toast your bread, or choose to have it untoasted as I did.
- Add coconut yogurt and wild blueberry powder into a bowl and mix until smooth with a spoon.
- Lather the mixture onto your toast, neatly.
- Using a pastry bag, pipe the sunflower seed butter mixture onto your toast in the shape of a heart. You can also use a spoon for a messier version.
- Then using the blueberries, place the blueberries in the shape of a heart using the sunbutter as glue. Use the remaining sunflower seed butter to create zig-zags around the heart.
- You can easily buy wild blueberry powder or any fruit powder of your desire on nutsdotcom, or Healthy Truth Foods. They have amazing certified gluten-free products and those are the two brands I swear by. And let’s just say you don’t want to have to order something like that, here’s what you can consider using for colors: blueberry juice, raspberry juice, blackberry juice, crushed pomegranate seeds, matcha tea powder, turmeric (but use sweetener with that one) or you can mix actual defrosted berries into your coconut yogurt and mix. That works too. You have natural options!
- You don’t have to use a pastry bag, it just makes it super pretty. I use Wilton disposable pastry bags. It cut the tip at the bottom, and I pipe the mixture. If you don’t care what it looks like you can use a spoon.
Grace and health,