When I first got into wellness as a hobby, and then a lifestyle, I loved learning how to make my own plant-based milk. It was fun and much easier than I expected, plus it was incredible to think that I could create and make my own with a few simple steps! It actually became a fun project and before I knew it I was making it weekly. After that, it became a staple alongside my other favorites like tiger nut milk, coconut milk, and quinoa milk. I prefer unsweetened for any type of plant milk simply because it's a healthier option. But that doesn't make it any less tasty.
Benefits of plant-based hemp seed milk
- Hemp milk has a thicker consistency and therefore can be used in baking just like dairy 2% milk
- An alternative to dairy milk for people with dairy allergies, and sensitivities
- Hemp milk is loaded with minerals including iron, potassium, phosphorus, magnesium, calcium
- Loaded with healthy fatty acids (omega 3 & 6) - which is a good thing
- Also rich in minerals zinc, and vitamin E, and folate, Vitamin B6
- Hemp milk is rich in plant-based protein
- Hemp milk is creamy so it works well in baking & smoothie making
More hemp seed milk benefits
- An alternative to nut-milks for people with nut allergies, and nut sensitivities
- Hemp milk has a nuttier taste (even tho it is a seed) so again works well in baking, breakfast, and smoothies
- Cheaper than store-bought
- Thicker and creamier if you make it homemade, and thinner if it's the store-bought kind
- Considered a superfood by David Avocado Wolfe
- Has all the amino acids to create a complete protein - the seeds
- Considered moon milk (relaxation milk) because of its magnesium properties
- Hemp milk is loaded with magnesium, and many of us are deficient in it
Hemp milk is super easy to make. I'd almost vouch that it's the easiest plant-milk to make out of them all.
All you need is hemp seeds and spring water!
- You don't need to soak your seeds or wait overnight
- You can throw the seeds in a blender, and add water, and blast
- You get to literally watch it turn into milk within minutes right before your very eyes
- And it only takes 10 minutes to make!
Do hemp seeds contain the mineral Magnesium?
- Did you know that hemp seeds are loaded with magnesium?
- Women are often deficient in this mineral so it's important to know what plant sources you can get it from in addition to a supplement.
Mineral Magnesium benefits
- Magnesium the mineral that helps our muscles from spasming, and relaxes our muscles
- It also aids in helping clear muscle pain
- Crates healthy bowels and a healthy digestive tract
- Helps you go to the bathroom
- Regulates sleep practices and calms us about 1 hour 15 minutes prior to bedtime
- Creates a restful sleep
- Aids in your flexibility
- Can lower anxiety and stress levels
- Magnesium paired with dried spices like cinnamon can also help with inflammation!
How to make plant-based milk
- In order to make plant-based milk in a blender, you'll need a nut-milk bag.
- This nut-milk bag will be placed over a medium-sized bowl, and you will pour the blended milk mixture into the bag straining the milk into the bowl
- Discard the pulp, and whatever is left in the bowl is the milk for use
How to naturally sweeten your hemp milk
- If you want to add some sweetness to this hemp milk without adding the sugar you can use dried SPICES including cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, vanilla powder, vanilla bean, cardamom, pumpkin spice, or turmeric, and ginger
- You can also use superfood powders from Suncore like the Pitaya Pink Dragon Fruit powder which is loaded with b vitamins and tastes like berries
- Sweeten with lemon and stevia works wonders too
- Add a few of these spices and relax your senses, wind down from a stressful day, and welcome the peace of mind.
How to strain your hemp milk (pics below).
- 4 easy steps!
- Place a nut-milk bag over a medium-size bowl, or inside the bowl
- Pour hemp seed milk through the nut-milk bag and strain the mixture into the bowl (do this in two steps)
- Make sure you get all the milk out by continuously straining
- Discard pulp, and what milk remains in your bowl is the milk you can use
- Pics below to help you understand this super easy process
More plant-based milk recipes
- You'll love my CBD Moon Milk
- And you'll love this spiced Cinnamon Tigernut Honey Horchata!
Ready to gather your ingredients?
How To Make Easy Hemp Milk
- high-speed blender
- nut milk bag
- large bowl
- ½ cup hemp seeds
- 3 cups spring water
How to Naturally Sweeten
- 1 teaspoon optional: vanilla extract organic
- ¼ teaspoon optional: cinnamon organic
- ¼ teaspoon optional: cardamom organic
- 1 drop optional: liquid stevia organic
- Add hemp seeds and spring water into a high-speed blender and blast until well-combined and smooth. Blend together until it's creamy white and no particles are floating in the mixture.
- Using a nut-milk bag over a medium-sized bowl, strain hemp mixture through the bag and into the bowl. Squeeze and strain as much milk as you can.
- Discard pulp.
- Optional if you want to add flavors. Rinse blender again. Then add milk back to the blender and all add your spices. Blend again, and store in a sealed glass container for up to 1 week.
- Use organic whenever possible.
- A cheesecloth will not work as well with this seed. I recommend the nut bag for this milk.
- Stevia is an option for those who like a low glycemic sweetener. Make sure the ingredients on the package say Pure Stevia and make sure it's not cut with additives. The ingredients should be pure and simple.
- All spices and extracts are optional and should also be organic. This can be enjoyed plain as well. I usually make it plain and then add spices later on.
- Homemade Hemp Milk can be stored in the fridge for up to a week in a sealed jar container.
Love & easy hemp milk!
Leave a Reply