Dairy-free Tootsie Roll Smoothie! Imagine a smoothie that tastes like a thick milkshake and happens to taste like a Tootsie Roll? Naturally sweetened, no added sugar, and lots of chocolate! Dairy-free, gluten-free, soy-free, and vegan.
Decadent chocolate cacao, creamy cashew butter, maca, and hemp seeds are a magical combination when blended together. Once blended you’ll only be able to taste the chocolate nutty flavor which is the perfect disguise for hidden vegetables and a ton of hidden minerals, vitamins, and nourishment. If you don’t like vegetables or it’s hard for you to get that variety into your diet because of food allergies, or food sensitivities, then smoothies will be your BFF. The beauty of smoothies besides their nutrient-dense profile from superfoods and fruits is the ability to sneak the veggies in and still get part of your daily dose!
Avocado is not just for guacamole and Summer fiestas. I love to add avocado into smoothies for their ability to make a smoothie thick and creamy while also not being able to taste the avocado. The texture is so thick when you use avocados.
Cashew butter or your favorite nut or seed butter can also make your smoothie super creamy and delicious. Nutritious too so don’t forget it.
Broccoli, cucumber, and spinach are the hidden vegetable stars of this smoothie and you won’t taste anything other than chocolate yumminess. While it may be hard to believe, honeydew melon when ripe is incredibly sweet! So sweet that it can be used as a natural sweetener and thickener making this smoothie lower in sugar than most.
What I like about this smoothie is that it is not too sweet which is a perfect breakfast option or a healthy snack option that doesn’t give you a sugar high like the real candy does, but still gives you that satisfying yummy taste.
Does it matter if I use organic produce for smoothies?
Yes. It matters.
The reason I tell my clients and almost everyone I know to use organic whenever possible and especially in smoothies is that there are a lot of pesticides sprayed on produce. Pesticides that are meant to kill bugs, and you are drinking and consuming and absorbing those pesticides alongside the good stuff. In other words, you are getting a mixed concoction of harmful toxins, fruit, and vegetables. A smoothie is not meant to harm you. For this reason, I follow the Clean 15 and the Dirty Dozen lists.
What is the Clean 15 and the Dirty Dozen?
The Clean 15 and The Dirty Dozen are two lists provided by the EWG that dictate what fruits and vegetables are suitable to eat non-organic, and another list that provides what should be organic, seasonally, and what doesn’t need to be organic, seasonally.
Ready to gather your ingredients?
Dairy-Free Tootsie Roll Smoothie
- high-speed blender
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup raw broccoli (1 large chunk)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/2 cup chopped cucumber skinless
- 3/4 cup ripe honeydew
- 4 tbsp ripe avocado
- 1 handful spinach
- 1 tbsp cashew butter
- 2 tsp hemp seeds
- 1 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 1 tsp maca root powder
- 3-4 drops pure liquid stevia
- 4 ice cubes
- In a high-speed blender add the milk, and broccoli and blast until liquid.
- Add in the chia seeds. Let sit for 3 minutes to thicken.
- Add in all remaining ingredients except the ice and stevia. Blast until well blended, and creamy.
- Lastly, add in the ice and stevia, give it one more spin, and transfer the smoothie mixture to a glass jar or cup and freeze for 10 minutes before serving.
- Sipping smoothies through a fun straw makes the smoothie drinking experience even more fun
- If you cannot afford organic do not worry, use what you have
- Not a fan of coconut milk? Use cashew milk, hemp milk, tigernut milk, or your milk of choice
- If broccoli is too hard to digest you can cook or steam it first, then freeze it. Doing it this way adds digestion optimization.
- Want a thinner consistency? Add more milk
- Want it thicker? Add more avocado
- Want it sweeter? Add 2 Medjool dates
More smoothie inspiration
Health and yummy smoothies!