Benefits of bananas
- Moderate blood sugar levels
- High levels of fiber
- Loaded with potassium
- Sweet all on its own
- Crammed with vitamins like B2 (riboflavin) and antioxidants
- Helps with headaches
- A great source of resistant starch (the body slows down the digestion of a banana)
- Amazing for banana bread
How to make a smoothie extra creamy
- Freeze your bananas (take the peel off) and throw them into your smoothie to create the creaminess
- Use your choice of milk over water
- Combine your smoothie with a nut or seed butter
- Avocado, cantaloupe, honeydew, raw cauliflower, and raw zucchini are all great thickeners for healthy smoothies
- Use coconut yogurt, dairy yogurt, cashew yogurt, or oat yogurt
- Sweet potato, butternut squash, or white sweet potato cooked and frozen to add thickness
Why is added sugar bad in healthy smoothies?
Sugar absorbs faster in something you drink.
Plus, it wouldn't be considered a clean eating meal if you add sugar. In fact, it wouldn't be considered healthy either. While sugar in small portions and in moderation are okay, loading yourself up with sugar is not. There is sugar in so many things you don't even realize what you are consuming. From the low sugar yogurt cup to the pasta, to the saucy sauce on your meal, to that dessert you have, and even milk. Everything is sweetened. The way I see it is that you don't need the sugar in smoothies. Especially a banana smoothie. A healthy clean eating smoothie is one where sugar is non-existent except in the form of fruit or spices like vanilla extract, spices, or even a vanilla bean.
Ready to gather your ingredients?
More healthy smoothie recipes!
Bonkers for Banana Smoothie
- high-speed blender
- 1 medium-sized banana
- 1 large handful spinach
- 2 tablespoon sunflower seed butter or nut butter of choice
- 1-2 teaspoon vanilla extract or ½ of the vanilla seeds from a pod
- ½ cup skinless cucumber chopped
- 1 cup coconut milk or nut milk of choice
- 3-4 ice cubes
- Blast all ingredients together on high except for the ice until smooth and creamy.
- You may have to scrape the sides of your high-speed blender.
- Add ice and blast again.
- Serve with a straw / Serves 1
- If you don't have any kind of milk, you can always use water. It won't be as thick, but it will still be good.
- Use any milk you desire.
- Use any nut or seed butter you'd like.
- Bananas can be non organic, but spinach and cucumber should be organic